Friday, December 30, 2011

Black hair:How long will it take for my hair to go natural?

I've been wearing a relaxer in my hair almost 11 years because of my mother's choice to wear my hair this way.I've been getting my hair professionally done.I want to go natural some day and give up relaxers.My hair is long,past my shoulders but it's really damaged. I want to bring out my natural beauty and embrace it. How long does it take for hair to go natural?Black hair:How long will it take for my hair to go natural?
I went natural in early July of 2008 and I love it! I've noticed that my hair is growing back thicker and stronger, and it's no longer breaking off, so it's definitely healthier! You will be natural as soon as you cut off all the permed hair, so it depends on you. If you decide to cut it all off today then you will be natural today. For most naturals, being natural means not having any chemicals in your hair (sans hair dye), so as soon as the chemically treated hair is gone then you are 100% natural. Your relaxer will not revert back to your natural hair so you do have to, at some point, cut if all off. When you do this is up to you and how long you want your natural hair to be before you do the BC (big chop or big cut).





I decided to go natural for the same reasons you mentioned. The perm was burning my head and causing scabs, and days later my head was still stinging from the perm. I decided at the last minute to get all the perm cut off instead of getting a touch-up. I now have about 1-2 inches of a curly TWA (teeny weeny afro). I was permed for about 13 years, first perm was at 13/14 y/o, so I remembered what my natural hair looked like before I started perming. My hair was also breaking off badly because of neglect - I hated getting touch-ups (obviously), and I hated always having to condition my scalp. With natural hair I only have to apply the moisture to my hair and not my scalp.





The longer you've been permed increases your chances of having what is called ';scab hair.'; This is hair that is still affected by years of perms. Scab hair is rough to the touch and very dry and icky looking; it's brittle, too. So, if you have scab hair then it could take several months, up to a year or longer, before you start seeing your true hair texture; You might have just a few patches of scab hair or your whole head might be filled with it. With approximately 13 years of perms I have a lot of scab hair, but I'm slowly seeing my hair change textures and this is truly a fascinating sight to behold. As a child I had wavy hair (if you're familiar with hair types then it's a 2 a/b hair type, I'm not mixed with anything, BTW) and as my real hair texture comes in I'm beginning to see bigger curls (or waves, too early to tell). Everyone does not experience scab hair, but if you find patches of your hair that is very dry and rougher looking than other parts of your hair then it could be scab hair. I've put in the sources section some websites so you can learn more about becoming natural. Motowngirl.com is my favorite and very informative.Black hair:How long will it take for my hair to go natural?
start going natural as soon as possible. the more you keep relaxing it the more damaged it can get. go to your hair salon and they have some sort of treatment to HELP fix damaged hair. you might also have to use some products and shampoos/conditioners especially for damaged hair.

Report Abuse



You do realize that only your new growth with be natural don't you? All of your hair that was chemically straightened will need to be trimmed off. Either all at once or gradually as your hair grows out. Even than it takes months for your natural hair texture to Truly emerge because the chemicals have done a job on your scalp.





Going natural is a beautiful thing. You have to change the way you care for your also. You can't continue to use the same shampoo, conditioner and styling products and expect the same results you got when your hair was relaxed.





If you're really ready for this big change, then do your research and ask questions.





Please check out these sites:


http://www.nappturality.com/modules/wfse鈥?/a>


http://tytecurl.com/v02/index.htm


http://www.amazon.com/Going-Natural-Fall鈥?/a>
well, its all up to the person. i have been transitioning for 6 months now, and will probably chop the relaxed ends by the end of february. some people i know go for the big chop, which is pretty much cutting all your hair off. if you are not ready for that type of commitment, try cutting your hair every now and then until the natural hair grows back. usually the longer your hair, the harder people have time transitioning. your hair grows about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch every month so get to know your hair and find out what is best for you. of course, transitioning is going to be a hard road, as your relaxed ends begin to break off sometimes in clumps. sometimes, i can just rub my fingers through my hair and dry brittle relaxed ends come out in clumps. but no worries, that just lets me know im one more step to gorgeous natural hair. one other thing i notice is that people say they are going to go natural, but quit after they notice how difficult it is to transition. one thing for sure, the natural hair first grows dry and frizzy, so you probably one tell how your natural hair is until the new growth is about one inch long. so have patience and most of luck!
Girl....it'll be the best choice everr


I never liked perms b/c they burned and it hurt


I went ';natural'; in october of 06


People to this day think i have a perm and say ohhh your hair is soo soft...it's longer and it's just a matter of maintenance...it's not that hard to deal with after a while...well for me it is b/c i have thick hair, but i like doing my hair...


it took me a few months to get adjusted, but i recall my beautician saying your hair will kind of want the relaxer and break off some in the beginning...but it won't be like that for a long time as long as you keep it up and i know you will....and for the naturalness the curls to come out...i'd say a few months just so the perm is out of your system...prior to going natural...i had been gettin perms since i was 6...sooo...about 8 years...
well trim your ends often and within 3 months you should start to see a change. and by doing that your natural hair will be healthier. just like if you were to grow out your hair and see your roots and then going to get your hair relaxed for a touch up, just do not get it touched up.and i know a problem with black hair is being able to maintain hydration so go to your professional stylist and get hair conditioning treatments...
Usually it takes some months. Those chemicals not only got on and in your hair, but into your scalp and skin as well, so it'll be some time before they get out.





It personally took me 6 months for my hair to be almost 100% natural again, after having it chemically altered since I was 3 or 4 years old.
it depends on how fast your hair grows... My mom who's half black half white her hairs grows long in about 7 or maybe 8 months, but my hair that's a whole other story. Im transitioning myself and ive been into it for about 4 months, already im in love with my new growth, But i give my hair about 7 to 9 more months before i decide to actually cut off my relaxed ends... Some people i know have transitioned for years some only weeks. Like I said it depends on the person.








hope i helped. :)
it will take a while to grow out bc your hair is a lil long so u should go get a wash deep conditioner and roller set and a cut every 2 weeks it should be long and natural THE LONGEST A YEAR babes

No comments:

Post a Comment